Splash your cash meaningfully with these 5 ways to help Small Businesses during the Covid-19 Crisis!
I've been struggling to find something to post on the blog. All that content I had prepared revolved around eating out or shopping and I didn't want to insensitively preach about my favourite restaurants when the world isn't supposed to be moving.
My friends started a wonderful new website named Little Places London in an effort to help spread awareness of the little things small businesses are doing to keep afloat and support their communities in this unprecedented time.
Using the Little Places London Website I've picked My5 Favourite Vegan friendly Businesses in London that have found creative ways to support their communities during the Stay Home Initiative!
Can't order groceries?
1. Loveshack LDN: The fully vegan hangout restaurant in Cambridge Heath has been a favourite to party, eat and do yoga amongst the London Vegan crowd. The restaurant has shut for the Stay Home initiative but in an effort to support the city has become a Vegan Greengrocer in the time of Corona, delivering Fruit, Veg and Booze Boxes to Londoners inventively using their friends' electric black cabs. You can order by box (Veg, Fruit or Booze) or by item like Vegan Cheese, Kimchi or even CBD Drinks on their website here. When they're back open I highly recommend popping in to sit on their front porch hammocks with a kombucha cocktail.
Want to donate meals?
2. Mildreds Restaurant is one of my favourite vegetarian restaurants in London. Their menu is around 90% vegan and their food is incredible! While their restaurant has shut down in line with the Stay Home Initiative, they are committed to donating 400 veggie meals a week to 4 key NHS Hospitals in London. They regularly post on their Instagram to share what is going where so you can see exactly where your money is going. Donate to their Go Fund Me Page here to help them continue! When they're back open don't forget to check out their 4 locations to gobble their perfect Gyoza Dumplings and Charred Artichoke!
Looking for 200% Ethical Coffee?
3. Redemption Roasters are the world's first behind bars coffee company and use ethically sourced coffee beans. They operate inside HMP The Mount and run roastery and barista classes to provide rehabilitation tools and jobs skills for offenders once they are back in society. Their cafes are closed but you can still order coffee beans online. For every bag of coffee beans ordered online they will donate a bag of beans to the new NHS Nightingale Hospital to power the staff working there. You can order here to shop and support multiple causes at the same time.
Struggling for ways to help out your favourite Hospital?
4. Crosstown Doughnuts has one fully vegan doughnut restaurant in central London with other stores around the city that always have vegan doughnuts. With their #operationdoughnation project you can donate a discounted rate box of 12 - 120 Vegan Doughnuts or a Veg Box to the Hospital of your choice (currently London based but with plans to expand) and keep the hardworking staff at the hospitals fed while they work tirelessly to keep others safe. Check out how to send a box on their website here. Be sure to check out their fully vegan branch in central London when they're back open!
Looking for a party?
5. Spiritual Bar is a dive bar hidden on a side street in Camden home to independent record label Spiritual Records. As the bar shut down for the Stay Home Initiative, their teams have been raising money to combat some of the financial hardships the Covid-19 Stay Home effort is predicted to inflict on Emerging Musicians.
They host live steamed gigs every night on Facebook Live (from each performers home) where you can donate as little as the price of a beer to support the bar and musicians. You can check out their weekly line up on their website here. Tune in to the party from Wednesday to Sunday nights 8pm GMT and be sure to stop by for a Vegan White Russian Cocktail when they're back open.
These are just a few places in London that deserve your support, there are so many more around the world trying to make a difference and keep their business running. Don't forget to support small businesses wherever you are who rely on local love to survive.
As the Little Places London manifesto says 'Without these, there won't be much to celebrate once we come out the other side'. Check out more or suggest a company to their website here
Let us know of other small businesses around the world that deserve a shout out in the comments below!